Chartered in August 2012 by Air Force Colonel, David Mason, the program was formed to provide young athletes the tools to continue strengthening basketball fundamentals and the necessary concepts to take their game to the next level.
Currently the program consists of highly talented 8th, 9th and 10th grade boys’ teams with all players representing the ideals of: teamwork, desire, selflessness, determination and leadership. All of the athletes were purposely recruited to become a part of the NOVA Heat basketball experience with each having a very high basketball aptitude. Needless to say, all represent the very best basketball athlete the Northern Virginia area has to offer.
The NOVA Heat coaching staff, David Mason, Marilyn Jenkins and Michael Smith are all active duty Air Force and have 22 years of basketball coaching experience, collectively. All understand the importance of servant leadership, having served at the highest levels of government. And all are committed to growing each athlete and growing the NOVA Heat basketball program.
The Heat program is a 9-month basketball experience for the athletes. The supplemental season runs from September to November and then again from March to August.
The NOVA Heat AAU basketball program is a 501c3 tax exempt organization.
NOVA Heat Standard
- Athletes will learn leadership skills, the value of teamwork, responsibility and the value of hard work.
- Athletes will respect the game … respect officials … respect coaches … respect parents … respect the opponent … but will not fear any opponent.
- Athletes will become better basketball players thus becoming even more competitive for high school basketball and possibly beyond.
The 3-Point Play
These are three fundamental points that will make any good team great.
- Trust – a team that trusts one another, because that trust is earned, will also have confidence among one another.
- Communication – we talk at all times to one another while at practice and during the games. Effective communications forms the life-blood that fuels unit cohesion which in turn, produces better performance.
- Responsibility – we work hard to prepare the team and one another through the true spirit of teamwork and fair play. We work hard together … we play hard together … and enjoy ourselves, hard together off the court.